Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Oops I Did It Again

So last week I'm minding my own business downstairs when I get called upstairs. Looking back I should have recognised that urgent yell but at the time I didn't think anything of it. I get to the top of the stairs and right away have a weird little stick stuck in my face. Couple that with the constant questioning, "Do you see it? Do you see what I'm seeing? Well, do you?"

"What am I supposed to be seeing?"

"The line, do you see the line?"

"What line?"

"Right there. There's a line. Do you know what that means?"

"Yeah, you need to get your eyes checked."

Just for the record, I totally saw the line. I just didn't want to admit it. In my mind, if I didn't say it out loud then it wasn't real. I tried to say it was just a faint thing you see when something like that gets wet. That caused her to immediately go get another one that she'd taken a while ago that didn't have any line, not even a faint little one.

"You pee on things entirely too much. Seriously, that's not normal."

So that's how I reacted when I found out we're going to have another baby. I tried the total denial approach. It doesn't seem to have changed the results of that test though. It didn't change the results of the test she took at the doctor's office or the blood tests they did either. They all conspired to swing the ratio of kids to parents in favour of those lovable little leprechauns. (Leprechauns partly because of their Irish ancestry and partly because they're tiny, hard to catch, wear diapers with rainbows on them. Definitely no pot of gold at the end of it)

So two out of the three times I found out there was a bun in the oven was by having a pee covered test thrust at me. The other time she came home with a baby on board sticker on the stomach of her shirt. That one wasn't as startling. Who knew giving someone news when you're not panicked is the way to go? Certainly makes for a calmer reaction. I wasn't the only one with an interesting reaction to the news though.

I told my mom and her reaction was "how'd that happen?"

"Seriously? You do know you're a nurse, right?"

Mom in turn told my sister. Her reaction was to email me and say "I'm not sure if mom was supposed to tell me. If she was then congratulations. If she wasn't supposed to, then do you have something to tell me?"

Then there was the kids. We haven't actually told them yet. Here's hoping they don't learn to read and maneuver their way through the Internet to this post. I asked the oldest if she thought we should have another baby. Her response was "you should have a baby for Cameron to play with because she doesn't like to play with me sometimes."

"Ok, so we should have one so Cameron can be a big sister. Do you think she'd like to have a boy or girl to play with."

"Umm, how about a boy and a girl?"

"Go to your room. You can come out when you stop saying things that give daddy a panic attack."

No comments: