Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Good Night's Sleep

Ok, here's a little math problem for you. Both my kids and the dog add up to a total of 80 lbs tops. I weigh over twice that much so how did I end up with a small section of the king size bed and a corner of the blanket last night? The only answer I can come up with is that kids expand when sleeping. It's like those foam dinosaurs you put in water and they grow to like eight times their size.

Here's what happened. The kids went to sleep fairly easily, always a nice treat, and slept pretty well. Following the normal order of things my wife, who is really looking forward to not being pregnant, was next in line for dreamland. I stayed up to watch the Daily Show, new episodes yay, and try out Xbox Live for the first time. Yeah, I just love getting my ass kicked at a video game by an eleven year old. It's even more fun with the added feature of a headset so you can hear them too. "Good job junior. You have fun with the whole first person shooter thing. I'm going to go watch R rated movies and maybe purchase some alcohol or tobacco products."

Anyways, after a while the older one starting calling out from her room. She wanted a drink but after that she started complaining about being afraid of the dark. I pointed out that she had nightlight and that the bathroom light was on so she could go potty at night if she needed. "I'm scared of the dark in my closet. Can I sleep in your room?" Well played. I was left with only one option. We piled into the bed which already had my wife, the baby "in her tummy", the dog, and the little sister in it. Add the two of us and it becomes a sleepy struggle for space.

Three bedrooms to choose from but we're all within arms reach. I guess I can't complain too much though. I only had one kid shoving against me for space. My wife had a kid switching between cuddling and pushing her away while she was also getting kicked in the stomach from the inside. Compared to that my little blanket corner seems like a friggin' dream come true.

1 comment:

Alpine Sanctum said...

"Good job junior. You have fun with the whole first person shooter thing. I'm going to go watch R rated movies and maybe purchase some alcohol or tobacco products."

Priceless. =D