Wednesday, February 18, 2009

T-Minus 18 Days And Counting

So we're under 3 weeks to go now. I know someone who can count it down to the exact second but I think it means more to her. If I was carrying around a weight on my stomach that punched, pushed, and kicked me from the inside at all hours of the day and night I'd probably have the sort of countdown going on that would make mission control look like a kid with an advent calender. Actually, an advent calender might not be a bad idea. Sort of puts a bit of pressure on the kid but I do enjoy daily chocolates.

I had to step away for a few minutes, not that you could tell I'm sure. They were just showing the best part of the Godfather on AMC so I had to watch. Man, I wish I had arch enemies and the means to have them all wiped out while I'm at a baptism, thus solidifying my power. I probably should have prefaced that by saying "spoiler alert" but if you haven't seen the Godfather by now then it's your own damn fault.

Anyways, baby preparations have been going ahead at full speed around here. Clothes is being pulled out washed and sorted. The crib has been set up in the nursery. We've got our tiny diapers. Those things are awesome by the way. They can squeeze like a thousand of them into the same size package that holds 36 of the bigger ones. Of course, babies poop about a thousand times more often than toddlers so it evens itself out. All I'm saying is we're not going to be stuck like we were with the last youngster. On the way home from the hospital we had to stop and buy diapers, formula, bottles, and just about anything else someone with any sense would have purchased ages before. At least we weren't going through the checkout with everything while she was in labour. Cashiers get kind of weirded out when you do that.

We weren't buying baby things, it was some sort of gummy candy and chocolate i think, but we did go shopping when my wife was in labour with the first one. It was great. I'm paying while she's leaning over breathing her way through a contraction. The eleventeen year old cashier looked a little concerned until I said "oh, she's just in labour." Her expression went from concerned to one of "do I need to boil some water and get towels?" I was tempted to tell her as we left that they needed a clean up in aisle three but that probably would have been a bit much. It gave us a chuckle though. We were still laughing when we went through the McDonald's drive thru on the way to the hospital (not my idea but I wasn't against it either). Just another instance where life failed to imitate the movies. I was expecting some high speed stunt driving as we rushed to the hospital in a panic. All that time watching the Italian Job down the drain but at least the burgers were good.

No comments: